Animal Keeper Associate: Elephants
Link: Animal Keeper Associate: Elephants at DISNEY (disneycareers.com)
Job Posting Closes: 12/10/23
About the Role & Team
Walt Disney's legacy of caring for animals and the environment is a way of life for Disney Experiences and our Guests. Disney's Animals, Science and Environment team's mission is to lead Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to CARE for animals and the environment, CONNECT people to nature andCONSERVE our natural resources.
We are looking for a new Animal Keeper Associate on the Elephant team at Disney's Animal Kingdom. You will work closely with fellow keepers to assist in the care, well-being, management, behavioral conditioning, and enrichment of a multi-generational, mixed sex herd of African elephants.
This is a full-time, hourly position, reporting to a team of Zoological Managers.
What You Will Do
· Daily responsibilities that include: cleaning, animal observations, diet preparation, and medications. Reporting abnormal conditions to zoological managers.
· Maintain daily records, collecting and logging information, and ensuring this information is communicated to management and the central record keeping system of Disney's Animal Kingdom.
· Be a part of a larger animal team and work well in a team environment. Keepers will work with partners from maintenance, horticulture, veterinary, and operations teams, as well as educators and scientists. Keepers may also be required to develop proficiencies in other animal areas.
· Provide animal information and conservation messages through Guest and Cast interaction.
· The work includes physical labor in ambient outdoor temperatures and weather conditions in Central Florida, which may include extreme heat and humidity.
· Work a variety of shifts including early morning start times (5AM) or late evening ending times (12AM) and may be required to work weekends and holidays.
Required Qualifications & Skills
High school degree or equivalent plus a minimum of either
· 1 years paid experience as a keeper in an AZA accredited institution or in an institution with equivalent standards and two years verifiable college coursework with an emphasis in zoology, animal science, biology, etc
· 2 years paid experience as a keeper in an AZA accredited institution or in an institution with equivalent standards and 1 year verifiable college coursework (30 semester hours).
· Comfortable lifting up to 50 pounds as needed in the work area
· Observation, evaluation, and data collecting skills
· Guest service skills
· 2 year Associate's or 4 year college degree in Biology or related field
· Experience working with large terrestrial mammals, especially elephants
· Practical knowledge and experience with operant conditioning
· Computer literacy
Benefits and Perks
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.