Associate Director of Animal Care -Utah’s Hogle Zoo
The Associate Director(s) of Animal Care (ADAC) are responsible for the management of the Zoo’s animals and keeper staff. This position collaborates with the Director of Animal Care to develop short-term and long-term animal plans to ensure the sustainability and well-being of the Zoo's animal populations and manages staff in various related activities. The ADAC reinforces and advances the Zoo's mission through participation in conservation, well-being programs and AZA programs on behalf of Utah’s Hogle Zoo.
This position currently oversees the programs and Animal Care Supervisors in the Elephant and Africa areas. Current collection includes: African elephants, white rhinos, bald eagles, ostrich, warthogs, Hartmann’s mountain zebra, lions, giraffe, meerkats, crested porcupine and guinea fowl. This position will also oversee a portion of the new Wild Utah exhibit that includes big horn sheep, mountain lions and burros. Preference will be given to those candidates with a strong background in elephant management.
At Utah's Hogle Zoo we seek employees who are passionate about conservation, who approach their daily work with a can do attitude, exhibit resourcefulness, approach their daily work with a can-do attitude, and communicate respectfully with everyone. The ideal candidate will come to work ready to apply their skill and enthusiasm towards the Zoo's mission of "Creating Champions for Wildlife."
Pay Range: $65,000 yearly minimum
Reports directly to the Director of Animal Care and serves on the Zoo’s leadership team.
WHY HOGLE ZOO? Are you an animal care professional looking to lead a crew of extremely talented and passionate animal devotees? Are you looking for a medium size zoo with a family like atmosphere? Are you a leader who seeks opportunities to continually learn and grow? Then Utah’s Hogle Zoo may be the place for you. We are looking for people who want to grow with us as we create a rich culture of creative, collaborative, passionate animal care professionals.
Be a part of the Zoo as we build our newest exhibit, Wild Utah! Slated to open in 2023, the exhibit will focus on native Utah species. Join us as we update our master plan with a focus on the renovation of our Small Animal Building, our Elephant Experience, and our Great Ape facilities. Make your contribution to a rich tradition of elevated behavior husbandry, guest engagement, professional development, and top animal welfare.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, then come and excel with us at Utah’s Hogle Zoo!
ABOUT UTAH’S HOGLE ZOO
For over 90 years, Utah’s Hogle Zoo has been a loved and trusted part of the community. Located within Salt Lake City proper, the Zoo is nestled in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountain range at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. The Zoo spans over 42 acres and is home to a diverse collection of animals. Being only minutes from both a vibrant downtown and national wilderness area, Salt Lake City is a dream for cultural aficionados and outdoor enthusiasts alike. This city has it all from professional sports teams, theater, cultural attractions, universities, nightlife, and many green spaces. From mountain ranges to deserts, Utah is home to five National and 45 State parks. Few places have so much, so close to where you live and work, but we pull it off with style and ease at Utah’s Hogle Zoo.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance.
- The Zoo is a part of the Utah Retirement System and makes a 10% contribution to an employee’s retirement. This includes an additional opportunity to make contributions to a 401K plan within URS.
- $3000 relocation allowance for qualifying new employees.
- Vacation days: New employees accrue up to 13 days annually of vacation time.
- Sick days: New employees accrue up to 10 days annually of sick time.
- Nine paid holidays in the year.
- Employee Assistance Program for employees and their families paid for by the Zoo.
- Employee long-term disability insurance paid for by the Zoo.
- Various employee reimbursements and contributions including wellness activities and professional development.
- Every employee receives a free Zoo Card that allows admission to the employee and up to 5 guests. It also provides free carousel and train rides, as well as free admittance to ZooLights and BooLights.
- 50% discount on concessions and 33.3% discount on gift shops items.
- Tickets at Work membership, which provides discounts and offers on theme parks, shows, sporting events, and travel.
- Awesome coworkers who care about animals and each other!
Please click on the link below for more information and to apply for the position: