Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
International Conservation Center
Position Title: Elephant Keeper Job Code:
Department: ICC Job Grade:
Reports To: Area Supervisor/Curator of Large Mammals FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
The International Conservation Center is located on approximately 1,000 acres surrounded by the rolling hills of Somerset, PA. We are looking for a dedicated, safety conscious and team oriented individual to help us advance our elephant program. This is an exciting opportunity to join in promoting conservation and providing exemplary care for our breeding herd of African elephants at our unique facility.
To provide care to the elephant collection at the ICC and other species as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Diet preparation, husbandry, training, observation and record keeping.
- Maintain and clean in and around animal habitats and inspect perimeters for security.
- Assist veterinarian in animal examination and treatment and provide medical care as prescribed.
- Assist in the collection of data for research studies.
- Assist in animal restraint and transportation as required.
- Speak to guests and conduct tours for educational programs.
- Participate in training programs at the ICC or other locations.
- Assist in providing training to staff or volunteers as requested.
· Safety: The employee exercises caution and follows safety protocols in all aspects of the job.
· Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time, complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
· Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with supervisors, colleagues, guests, and vendors inside and outside the ICC.
- Working Relationships: The employee exhibits a professional manner and relates well with others. The employee works to maintain constructive working relationships with coworkers and to develop an effective training partnership with the animals based on respect and positive reinforcement.
This position is required to work in all weather conditions in a farm setting. May be required to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds unassisted.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Zoological Society of Pittsburgh
Human Resources Department
One Wild Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15206